Getting Started - Tools for Making Wire Wrapped and Beaded Jewelry

What tools do *I* use? Lindstrom's RX ergonomic tools. They cost a bit more then the pliers and cutters you might find at the local hobby store, but... I have to say that if you're going to do wire for the long haul, then it's worth the investment. I got my tools a couple of pieces at a time and over time, have tried several of their jewelry pliers and cutters. I have to say... they are my faves for sure. They've outlasted anything else I've tried from local shops and trust me... I give the tools a run for their money. I'm hardly delicate when I'm intent on bending or cutting wire. I expect the tools to do most of the muscle work and so I use them that way, saving my precious wrists and hands as much as I can.

Here's the link to their site for information:
http://www.lindstromtools.us/products/bead-and-jewelry-arts


When I first started making wire jewlery, I did like everyone else does... went to the local Hobby Lobby, got the 'jewelry making kit' for around $30.00 and went to town learning. That's a great start, but once you fall in love with wire art, you'll want to invest in some better tools. Like any serious hobby, it's best to invest in your body's comfort and well being. That makes the jewelry project all the better and when you're not concerned with hand or wrist fatigue... your project will be even more spectacular when finished.

From their site:

Lindstrom Rx plier

The result of 150 years of making the world's leading cutters and pliers.

We have put all our experience, technical expertise and ergonomic know-how into the successful Rx plier series. Take a close look at the Rx plier, try it out and then compare it to all competitors on the market. The Rx plier will always come out on top!
  1. Finely finished. High degree of symmetry, even under magnification.
  2. Rounded shape makes it easy to rotate to find the correct working angle.
  3. Cushioned, high-friction surface. Always comfortable and steady in your hand.
  4. Return spring automatically opens Rx pliers. You always have your fingers in place to do the job.
  5. Easy to adjust, three-position spring. Provides different resistance and grip widths.
  6. Unique spring design. Reduces fatigue over time in intensive use.
  7. Long, wide handles. Distribute and minimize pressure points.
  8. Light weight. Easy to maneuver and position.
  9. Springs are easily replaced. Tool stocking and replacement costs are reduced.
  10. ESD safe.
Here is my little collection of Lindstrom tools... along with some other tools that are important when mangling wire. I have a wonderful collection of non-Lindstrom tools also, which I purchased from the local hobby store or from one of my fave online suppliers. All will work well for you when you keep in mind, the comfort of your body machine.


Now for the beginner... what basic tools do you need to start? Here's what I recommend:
  • Flat nose jewelry plier
  • Chain nose
  • Round nose
  • Jewelry wire cutters
  • A jewelry file
  • A ruler
  • I'm missing an image of my nylon jaw pliers... a must for straightening wires.

Here's a link to a pair at Michael's...

You should be able to accomplish most wire and bead projects with these. Over time, you'll most likely look to add to your collection based on what you prefer to make.













Updated: A girlfriend of mine just told me about Wubbers! They sound just as wonderful as the Lindstrom but not as expensive. I can't speak on them because I don't own a pair, but here is a link to her post on them. I think the next time I need a new pair of pliers I'll be looking into Wubber also.
 Thanks Jamie! CreationsbyJae

Enjoy!

www.wubbers.com







updated 5/19/2014

No comments: